Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I cannot believe it is almost Christmas! This has been such a wild month! So Merry Christmas all! I wish each of you a very Happy Holiday Season!!

Things are going well here at the Wall Home! We are slowly making our way through this holiday season and through the ins and outs of each day. Here are a few updates on heart surgery recovery...... 1. My fever left last Friday and has not been an issue since! So grateful for that one! 2. I washed my own hair for the first time Sunday. May sound like a silly thing to be excited about but that is a big accomplishment! And you would be surprised how tired you get just trying to do something like that! And 3. I actually only woke up twice last night! After heart surgery your body does the weirdest things - one being that your sleep schedule gets really off. Ever since surgery I have gotten used to being awake for most of the night, but last night I fell asleep at 9 p.m. and didn't remember waking up until close to 5! Loved that!

People keep on asking me if I feel like I am getting better and my answer may seem funny, but I have to tell them that I don't know. At some moments I feel like I am getting better then at some points I feel like I regressed to a worse state. When I saw my doctor last week she reminded me that it will be awhile before I feel better. They said after 8 weeks I can start back into my normal routine but reminded me that just doing my normal routine will wear me out. So she then said to plan on 6 months to a year before I feel really back to myself............wow..... Dr. Yetman said that many people get depressed after heart surgery because you are so limited physically. I don't feel depressed, but I do sometimes get impatient with my limits. I really am not that impatient, because I really don't feel like doing much, but sometimes I get frustrated having to ask for help ALL the time. For example, the other day I was so hungry and hated asking Keven to help me again for the 50th time that day so I thought I would just get it myself. Well, I went to the kitchen to find a bowl and then realized I couldn't reach them without hurting my chest. I opened the fridge next and realized I couldn't lift the milk, which is where I gave up. I was so frustrated I started to cry and when Keven tried to find out what was wrong I was angry. (Big sigh). It is good to have experiences that teach us humility :)

5 comments:

Diana said...

Hang in there Cary! It sounds ike you are doing really really well considering all that you have been through and you should be proud of the small things like washing your hair! Wahoo! Have a happy holiday!

Cindy Davis said...

Hey Sweet Girl, I said this on the other place but, you just have to realize that you really did have MAJOR surgery and that as amazing as our bodies are, they are limited. It will take time, but you will get better. You have to give yourself credit for all the accomplishments thus far. Hair washing is a big one ( arms up above your head )Know how much everyone loves you, and is SO happy for the fact that the surgery was successful. They are all willing to do whatever it takes to help you keep improving. We will pray for patience, understanding, and continued healing in your behalf. So wish we were there to help you. MERRY CHRISTMAS and a wondeful NEW YEAR ahead!! Love you all, Cindy and family

Martha said...

Wow CB. Your post gave me a new appreciation for what you're going through right now. I'm sure you are so excited to get back to your normal self. I didn't know you were in your house yet--hopefully you got the plate of goodies I left where you were living before. (It was last Thursday.)

Paul Shields said...

Hello Wall Family. Things got a bit crazy, so it has been a while since we have checked the blog. We are so glad things went well in Rochester. Isn't it so true that you are attended to, and blessed by, earthly and heavenly angels every day you are there. But isn't wonderful to be home. We will pray for your continued health and healing. You are remarkable, and just keep doing what you are doing. You are making progress even though at times it will feel like you're not.

As hectic and difficult as your life must seem right now, we hope you can find a way to take in the peace and happiness of the season. Have a very Merry Christmas and we'll be in touch.

The Shields

Razzle Dazzle Berry said...

It is hard to have to keep asking the hubby for help for those of us who are strong willed ?!?! I am the same way :) Oh CB, I feel for ya, please take it easy and let all of us take care of you for a change. All of your sweet service has come back around to treat you.
Merry Christmas dear friend!