Monday, December 6, 2010

Discharge!

It is 11:30 Rochester time, and I am blogging now because I thought Cary had blogged before. A lot has happened today.
Cary got paced for the first time last night. I've become 1 with the lingo, so for those who don't know what that means, it means that Cary's heart rate dropped far enough that her pace maker jumped into action to help regulate her heart rate. That sounds bad, but really I'm happy. This has been one of her problems that has caused her grief in the past, but no longer. Now, instead of fainting spells or chest pain, she'll just have a little help from her new friend.
While Cary was showering this morning I told the doctors about her being paced, and their response was "good...that's why it's there." I really appreciated his candor. There are a lot of things in life that seem bad in one way or another, but if we try and expand our vision, we see that they are huge blessings. So...Cary's heart surgery, her pace maker, and our trip to Rochester, MN, have all been huge blessings in our life.
Cary got discharged today. We are staying at a hotel in town until Wednesday afternoon, when we will fly home! The hospital staff has all said that we've come a long way in a very short time. Cary's uncomfortable, but every day walking more, being able to converse more, stay awake longer, etc. Hopefully for her sake she'll be able to get some sleep tonight.
As for our home...well, if only that could have happened quicker than we all thought!...or as quick as we thought...heck I'd be happy if it would have happened slightly longer than we thought...but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. We know the underwriter is looking at the file because of all the stupid little letters and hoops we are jumping through now. I assume everyone has them. Our lender seems to think it's all done, and hopefully tomorrow we will have a closing date. I don't have a lot of hope of it being done before we fly home, but maybe Thursday closing?

I appreciate all the people who have fasted, prayed, expressed love, thoughts, flowers, hospitality and in general gone above and beyond anything I could have asked for. I shouldn't name anyone, but some I would feel remiss if I don't...so here goes. First to family. My brother and sister and their families for keeping our kids while we are away. My parents and in-laws for their concern. Thank you Becca, Jamie, Whitney, Elaine for helping coordinate meals, babysitting, mommysitting for when we get back. Thanks to Rod, Melissa, Doug, Troy, Ashley and Ashley. These are the people I work with who have allowed me to take so much time and energy away from work during this process...as well as the build of my home. They are awesome.

Thanks to Brighton Girls Camp and the special bond these girls share. We've been shuttled around Rochester by one of Cary's brighton friends, Tibet, and her husband while we've been here. He is a resident at the hospital and she's taking care of their 4 babies, but they insisted on feeding us, driving us around, and visiting us at the hospital. Rochester was a small extension of Utah thanks to them. Thanks to the Shield's family and their newfound friendship during this experience. They went through this with their daughter a couple years ago and offered a lot of advice for us.

Thanks to our 2 wards, the Canyon Rim Ward and the Country Crossing 5th ward. The Canyon Rim ward held a shower for us before we left, and it was awesome. Elaine is a lifesaver. They have showed us so much love over the years. It was really hard to leave. Similarly, our new ward family has reached out to us in a way that made me feel like we've been there for years already, (and we don't even have a home there yet!) I was so surprised to get phone call after phone call from people in the ward who wanted an update. Thank you so much to both wards!

The doctors, nurses, volunteers, clinic workers, shuttle drivers and Sprinhill Suites at Mayo Clinic have re-defined Christianity for me. Thanks to them for their skill, care, concern and love they've shown us over the past week.

And finally, not to sound cliche, but so much has just fallen perfectly into place that there is no way this is all coincidence. I am thankful to Heavenly Father for His help in making this all happen.
Hopefully the list is complete...I'll have Cary double check it all in the morning. If I forgot someone I am sorry. Thanks.

And I'm sorry this blog is so long. I guess I get long winded after midnight! See you in 2 days.

5 comments:

Cindy Davis said...

Hey Keven and Cary, Wow! We can't believe that you have gotten discharged already--you are making great progress Cary! Also glad to know that the pacemaker is in and working. Like Keven said, it may sound bad that it has already "been tested", but that is good to know it will work for you if needed. We pray for a safe trip home and that you won't get too tired or stressed as you travel. The house signing will come, and then a happy time to move in. Everyone there sounds SO willing to help--wish we could be there to help. Love you both so much-thanks for all the updates and for letting us be a part. Luvs, The Davis Family

Caitlin said...

I am so glad to hear everything has gone so well. I've been thinking about you and your family, and am thrilled with the update. I hope you keep making great progress CB!

Razzle Dazzle Berry said...

Thanks for taking great care of CB Keven :)

I am so glad that I ran into Sunny when I did and that she contacted Tibet. Brighton gals are the best :)

kerry said...

I wept as I read this post, Keven. You don't know me...but I dearly love your wife. We have been praying for Carebear and your little family, and I am so,so, so grateful that she is doing so well. Bless you and those you love. And Merry Christmas...what a gift from a loving Father!
Love, Zim

Meg said...

CB!!! I've been following your blog everyday! I'm so glad that everything went well. Sounds like you were in the best hands possible. I have been thinking of you constantly and wanted to leave you a little message. I love you friend. You have been in my prayers and will continue to be. Way to be brave and have courage! Life is funny you know, I can't think of anyone I know who has a more pure and loving heart than you... sort of ironic. Take it easy and rest up. Thank you husband for keeping us all updated. Love you friend... Paris