Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Some Deep Thoughts...


I have never been one to create a post that contains just my thoughts. I have especially never been one to create a post containing deep personal thoughts -- but my heart is full tonight.

When I was thirteen years old I attended a camp, good old Brighton Girl's Camp. It was there, surrounded by the beautiful nature created by our Heavenly Father, that I first gained a testimony of the true gospel of Jesus Christ. You might never guess that one week at camp could make such an impression on a young girl, but it did for me. Feeling the Spirit, gaining a testimony, and truly understanding that I was a special daughter of my Heavenly Father changed my life. As I left camp that week, I clearly remember taking a moment to look back at the incredible mountains of Brighton. It was then that I felt the Spirit so strongly and knew that one day Brighton would be a big part of my life.

I had no idea that the testimony I gained that week would help me through many years to come. The Lord truly is aware of us and knows our needs.

Time goes on but impacting memories stay clear, as did my Brighton. When I was nineteen years old I was hired for my first year as a counselor. I was elated with the idea that I could help young girls gain a testimony - one that could guide them through the rough years that lay ahead. Over the next few years I was blessed with the opportunity to serve on staff in different positions. I was always grateful to serve, feeling that I was giving back to a program that laid a foundation for me.

My last year of service was the summer of 2005. I will never forget the Spirit of that summer. The Lord is so real and can be found in ALL beautiful things.

Tonight I was speaking with my good friend Floss. She is the President of Brighton and has been for the past 20 years. What an incredible example she is to me of sincere, Christ-like love and compassion -- and my heart is so full because of her inspiration and the inspiration of other wonderful, inspired people. I am so grateful to once again give back to a program that has given me more than I could ever imagine.

10 comments:

Mr & Mrs Hilton said...

Thank you for your testimony. You are such a great person, I am so glad that I am able to be your friend!

Melissa Mae Johnson said...

Yay for Brighton! I feel the same way. I'm sad I didn't get to spend more summers up there, but I'm so incredibly grateful for the opportunity I had to serve just that one! Brighton truly is a special place.

Jentry said...

Brighton is so truly special and I am filled with the Spirit that it brings. Just today I was thinking about how I learned to back a trailer and what a special summer that was. Shadows Creep!

Unknown said...

Hooray for Brighton! Unfortunately nursing school got in the way of me spending any more summers up there, but that one will always live in my heart.

Becca said...

Ummm...even though I'm all the way across the country, you do remember that we can still talk, right? I think you need to call me. I'm sensing a good chat is in order. Maybe a continuation of our conversation from the other night? Blogging's good for some updates - but not all. I'll be waiting by the phone...

Unknown said...

I never even knew this camp existed till I heard about it through you and Amy. Thanks for sharing your testimony today!

Holly Harris Murray said...

I remember Brighton like it was yesterday. Both summers I spent up there strengthened my testimony as well, especially singing and sharing testimonies with other girls my age in the mountains. Such a beautiful place, I never wanted to leave!

theminerfamily said...

Wow Carebear a flood of memories and emotions just came to me! Brighton is such a special place! I miss the spirit, sunsets ropes courses, and Pika's cooking!

theminerfamily said...

Wow Carebear a flood of memories and emotions just came to me! Brighton is such a special place! I miss the spirit, sunsets ropes courses, and Pika's cooking!

Meg said...

Oh CB!! I'm glad that I was able to share a few summers up there with you!! What a fun time! I too will never be the same after Brighton. It's been almost 6 years since my last summer, and I don't think that a week goes by that I don't think about Brighton. Thanks for sharing your testimony friend!!